My Best Friends!
Sonali:
Hey!
(Salisha
and friends chatting)
Anjila:
Why were you late for the assembly Salisha?
Salisha:
I was reading. I was in the last chapter of the book, I didn’t notice the time.
Sonali:
(Excitedly) Which Book?
Salisha:
(Name of a Book)
My
reading journey started when I was in 8th grade. It’s hard to believe that I knew
nothing about “reading habits’ before that.
As
a teen, I wasn’t very social and loneliness pricked me time to time. I always
felt the need to make friends. Most of my classmates were in the first year of
their teenage life! This was the time when they were busy trying their hands on
getting a boyfriend for the very first time. Between all this, I was busy
searching for true friends.
So,
in my hunt for true friends I tried to fit in the smallest group of my
classmates. This was an all girls group, supposedly the most noisy and popular
ones. They were talking about Books.
Chicken
Soup, Princess Diaries, Harry Potter.
At
first I felt disconnected but was determined to fill the gap. To understand
their discussions and be part of the chat, I had to find a way out.
I
knew what I had to do.
Filled
with excitement, I called my aunt and requested her to accompany me to
Education Book Store in Jamal. I couldn’t wait, so the request turned into
force. Exactly at 7:30 pm on that rainy day, I bought my first Book, “Chicken
Soup For the Teenage Soul”.
Beginning
days were tough.
I
was like a frog in a pond. I could hop on its surface, but wasn’t able to swim
smoothly along. Sentences wouldn’t make any sense to me. It was merely many
words being read at a single go, not very different from memorizing the
multiple tables in maths.
Again,
like a frog, I couldn’t stay in this pond for long. I would easily get
distracted and would hop to my comfortable land. If the Guinness Book of World
Record made a count of the maximum number of episodes watch of ‘Scooby Dooby
Doo’, I have high chance of coming out on top of the list.
This
didn’t take me anywhere.
When
it was lunch break, I would stay back all by myself in class spending those 30
minutes scribbling on the blackboard and gazing at the never ending forest near
our school.
I
was a dry leaf hanging beside a bunch of fresh leaves of on a beautiful oak
tree. I was soon going to fall.
And
then came my soul sister who helped me walk this path.
We
decided to travel this journey together. Motivating each other we continued
reading books regardless of whether we would get it or not. It took us one long
year, to start getting a grip of it. The actual journey had just begun. I had
started making list of books that I read.
Most
Importantly, I found friends.
Friends, who weren't just the people around me but also characters from books I read. They are the ones who never ask me to change, the ones who respect
my dedication and the time I spent with them, the ones I share my happiness,
sadness, anger and love with. They help me control my emotions.
Now, I have best friends for life, friends I have searched all along.
Comments
Post a Comment